COUNTRY SCHOOL, COUNTRY KIDS

COUNTRY SCHOOL, COUNTRY KIDS
We are an amazing bunch of Year 1 and 2 learners in Room One at Tokomaru School. We'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment about our learning.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

How the Sea Became Salt

We read the story 'How the Sea Became Salt' today. It is a story about how a poor man gets a mill that grinds out whatever you ask for. You have to know how to command it to stop as it will just keep on grinding otherwise. The man sells the mill to his rich brother for some money, but the rich brother forgot to ask how it stops. He asks for milk and herrings soup, and the mill grinds it out, but the rich brother can't make it stop. He takes it back to his poor brother, who stops it. The poor brother decides to sell it again to a sea captain. The poor brother is now rich so he is happy. The sea captain decides to get the mill to make salt so he doesn't need to work anymore. He also forgot to ask how to stop the mill! The mill kept on grinding salt on the sea captain's ship until the ship sunk. Now the mill sits at the bottom of the ocean grinding salt out. That is how the sea became salt!

Check out Ask Kids to find out why the sea really is salty.

We came up with some ideas about what we would ask the mill to grind if we had it:

"Fish 'n' chips because I could share them with the entire world" Lukaz
"Diamonds, jewels, crystals, gold, and a gold crown because I would like to be rich" Annabelle
"All the Harry Potter things because I love Harry Potter stuff" Ryan
"Princess clothes and a magic wand because I want to be a princess" Meghana
"Endless kittens and puppies because I would be really popular with everyone" Tara
"A wand, magic hat, and smarty pants because then I would be really smart" Cheymani
"Chocolate milkshakes because I like them" Tyrone
"Diamonds because I'll be rich" Bailie
"A car like a hot rod with a big engine too because they are colourful" Tyler
"A racing car because it is fast and I could win races" Gianlucca
"I would ask for gold because I like gold" Domonic

What would you want the mill to grind for you? Leave a comment and share your wishes!

1 comment:

  1. That is a pretty good story I had never heard of it before you all started your Fairy Tale items

    ReplyDelete